Thursday, May 13, 2010

From Dairy Queen to Dutch Treat


Yesterday I posted the newspaper ad for the Grand Opening of the Sheffield Lake Dairy Queen that was at the corner of Abbe and East Lake Road back in 1952. I imagine the scene back then looked a lot like the blissful illustration above (poached from this site).

Well, I did a little research and found out that the store wasn't a Dairy Queen for very long. By 1954 the store was Dutch Treat, with the same owner. The Dutch Treat lasted a lot longer, at least through the late 1960's, when they offered pizza!

So although it is unlikely that someone will remember the Dairy Queen, if someone knows anything about the Dutch Treat, please leave a comment!

1 comment:

Kathy Nuwayhid said...

Hi, my aunt owned The Dutch Treat, her name was Lillian Borchert. She died a few years ago. I rember that they changed from Dairy Queen because Dairy Queen wanted a very high annual fee to use the name. I also remember when they added pizza and sandwiches to keep them going all year long.