Tuesday, September 2, 2014

September 1, 1946 Back-to-School Ad

Here's another one of those full-page, sponsored Safety ads with lists of both well-remembered and long-forgotten Lorain companies. It appeared in the Lorain Sunday News of Sunday, September 1, 1946 – 68 years ago this month.

Happily, a few of the 1946 ad's sponsors are still around, including Griffith Black Top (now M. J. Griffith Paving), Lorain Glass, and Schwartz Home for Funerals (now Schwartz, Spence, Boyer and Cool Home for Funerals). But that's about it, that I can see.

The illustration of the pretty young mother getting her children dressed for school says a lot about how times have changed since then. Recently while driving to work on Route 6, I've seen lots of kids waiting for school buses in Avon Lake. Most of them (the boys, anyway) were wearing untucked T-shirts and long, baggy gym-style shorts – something that would have been unthinkable when I was a kid.

I guess I'm showing my age.

No comments: