Monday, September 29, 2014

Laurel Oaks Ad – September 1961

As long as I'm posting vintage model home ads, here's another one. It's for the Laurel Oaks development, which was located west of Route 57 in the Homewood Drive area.

The ad ran in the Lorain Journal on September 16, 1961 – 53 years ago this month. It's an eye-catching ad, even if it was probably a clip-art layout. Plus, I'm a sucker for these ads showing how Lorain's neighborhoods grew, thanks to countless unsung builders and developers.

In this case, the name associated with Laurel Oaks is Alex Bruscino. According to online Chronicle-Telegram article from September 1994, he was a "pioneer home builder for veterans returning from World War II. His distinguished career lasted into the early 1970's and he built over 4,000 homes in Cuyahoga and Lorain Counties."

I didn't get a chance this weekend to drive out to South Lorain and try and find some of these model homes for "then and now" shots. It's just as well. I probably would have ended up in the Journal police blotter, mentioned as some suspicious middle-aged guy taking photographs from a car seen cruising slowly through the neighborhood.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that what a lot of insurance and real estate people do, drive by and take pictures? It's when you pull in and out of the same driveway over and over that you have to worry......

Anonymous said...

Wow! I like how you can trade in your old house.

Dan Brady said...

I still feel like "such a sneak" whenever I photograph someone's house. At least I always make sure that no one (a kid or jogger) is about to enter the shot! But as anyone who reads this blog can see, I've been using aerials more and more as an alternative to the drive-by shot (although the one of the Enchantment House was shot over the shoulder as I drove past. I'm surprised I got anything at all on that one!)

Ken said...

Just pretend you're Rockford. Although he got punched a lot.

Dan Brady said...

If someone questions what I'm doing, I'll just tell 'em my name is Jim Taggart! I just gotta get me one of them portable business card printers.