Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Passing Scene – June 1, 1974



Here's yet another one of the late Gene Patrick's weekly The Passing Scene cartoon that ran in the Journal in the mid-1960s and into the 1970s. (They make nice filler for this blog when I don't have anything else ready yet!)

This one ran on June 1, 1974 – thus the Memorial Day reference in the cartoon. I no doubt marched in that parade with the Admiral King Marching Band.

Speaking of Gene Patrick, I happened to find an old rerun of the Mary Tyler Moore show the other day on Me-TV (the one where Ted wants to move into Mary's apartment house), and I swear I saw him sitting in the background in the newsroom. (Remember back here, when it was pointed out that he had done just that in some episodes while trying to get an acting career going.)

Anyway, I might as well also post this ad for Gene Patrick's business endeavor in Lorain: Gene's Hobby Hub. It ran in the Journal on May 12, 1972.

The small hobby store was located right next door to Yala's Pizza. And since Yala's added a drive-thru to the store, I believe Yala's is now located more or less in the old Hobby Hub space.

No comments: