Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Where to go in Lorain on New Year's Eve 1951


Here's an ad from the Sunday, December 30, 1951 Lorain Sunday News that provides some suggestions for where to spend New Year' Eve. (Give it a click so you can read it.) It's a nice snapshot of the neighborhood taverns in the Lorain area at that time – exactly 60 years ago – especially those in South Lorain.

I see the Airport Tavern on there, the present home of my favorite restaurant, Mutt & Jeff's. I've heard of some of the other ones, such as Miraldi's Cafe.

I wonder if Urban's was the only bar in Lorain to ever have the words 'rumpus room' as part of its name?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan - Miraldi's Cafe became The Corner at the corner of Ninth and Broadway, and today is Scorcher's. I wasn't in the area when it was Miraldi's but I surely do remember The Corner and today's Scorcher's.
Don Wozniak

Dan Brady said...

Hi Don,

Thanks for pointing that out. I was only in the Corner a few times but I did like the old-time Lorain decor (signage, etc.)

Anonymous said...


Ah Yes, we often talk about Miraldi's which had the very best pasta !!!
Sure do miss their spaghetti and meatballs.

Raymond M said...

Wow the alpis grille.I have been trying to find info on this place for years.Lived at 508 w 23rd in in the late 60s early 70s and would ride my bike past and smell the smoke and alcahol out of the open front door. Just another empty lot now . Anyone know what it may have been called around my time frame? Just discovered this blog this weekend . Awesome !!!