Friday, October 14, 2016

Midway Mall Traffic Jams – October 1966

Fifty years ago this month, traffic jams were an everyday occurrence near the recently-opened Midway Mall in Elyria, and a remedy was needed – and fast. Shoppers reported delays of 15 to 30 minutes at the intersection of State Route 57 and Griswold Road.

The temporary solution, as described in an article (at left) that ran in the Lorain Journal on October 6, 1966, was to adjust the traffic signals a bit.

But the permanent solution described in the article was to build a bridge over State Route 57. You know, the one that was torn down last year.

Here’s a last look at it on the Bing Maps website.

****
Even though it’s been about a year since the 49th Street bridge was demolished, I’m still not used to it being gone.

And I’m not convinced that getting rid of the bridge (as well as those I-90/Route 57 ramps) was a good idea, either. I had to go out to the mall area last weekend, and it seems like there’s a traffic light every few hundred feet or so on Route 57. Of course, I was snagged by each one as I proceeded south.

The sad thing is that once I got to where I was going (PetSmart), I noticed that most of its neighboring stores in that particular shopping center had vamoosed.

4 comments:

Mark said...

I miss the good old days of the mall. Yep - we shop at PetSmart too - sad and scary what's happened to their plaza.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you noticed that you captured something else news worthy in the Midway mall article, it talks about the death of Herman Popiel. Note sure of the relationship, but I'm positive this person was related to the infamous "Mr. Pope" the Admiral King Spanish teacher and radio personality.

Dan Brady said...

Thanks for noticing the Popiel article. I do like to leave some of the surrounding articles sometimes in the hope that something might be of interest. I'm sorry I cut off the rest of the obituary but I believe you are right, as James Popiel of Lorain is listed as one of his survivors.

Jay said...

Petsmart will be the next to fly the coop. They are probably locked into a lease otherwise I bet they would have been gone too.