|LaGrange’s Soliders’ Monument circa 1953|
The article below about the monument ran in the Lorain Journal on May 7, 1967 – 49 years ago this month. It explains how the Civil War soldier atop the monument originally faced north, as well as revealing a little-known typographical error that once graced one of the monument’s stones.
Mrs. Albert Wilcox was interviewed for the article. She mentions her great grandfather, Charles Rounds, a native New Englander, walked from the East Coast all the way to LaGrange Township so that he could clear a plot for his new farm.
Tomorrow: Tarred and feathered