Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Shoreway Shopping Center A&P Opens – August 1959

I don't get to post too much about my current home – Sheffield Lake – in this blog, so when I do find something of interest, I try to get it up here pronto.

The Sheffield Lake store in the 1960s
Here's a full page ad that ran on Tuesday, August 18, 1959 in the Lorain Journal – 53 years ago – heralding the opening of the new A&P in the Shoreway Shopping Center.

From the ad, it looks like the store gave away a lot of goodies during the grand opening celebration. Also notice in the ad that Lake Breeze Road was designated Route 301 back then.

It's strange that the mighty A&P grocery store chain seems to have faded away, except for stores in New York and the surrounding states.

My mom shopped at A&P in Lorain for years. I still remember seeing those Ann Page products in the cupboard, never realizing that the name's initials stood for A&P!



3 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

I used to wonder about the difference between Eight O'Clock and Four O'Clock Coffee, when I was a kid; we occasionally shopped at the A&P on South Broadway.

fancycat said...

My parents utilized the one in Kansas Ave.. It seemed quite modern.
Maybe one was decaf Alan?

ayala center said...

Shopping has been a favorite hobby for all since ancient times.Earlier people use to shop n the streets along with their near and dear one. Increased modernization and technology brought about the concepts of malls.

lou