Friday, August 24, 2012

Penfield Grocery Store Then and Now

Shortly after my post a few weeks ago about the August 1967 closing of the Penfield Grocery Store, I got an email from blog buddy Drew Penfield, who let me know that the former grocery store building was indeed still standing on Route 18 in Penfield Township, at the intersection with Route 301.

I should have known to ask a Penfield in the first place!

Anyway, I happened to be in Wellington last week during my vacation, and decided to take a drive down Route 18 and see what the building looked like these days. It looked slightly run-down in the vintage photo (at left).

To my surprise, the building was still in great shape and currently for sale, listed by Lisa Eyring of Russell Real Estate Services. The online listing describes it as an updated Century home that is zoned both residential and commercial.

Driving by the place today with its grassy front yard, you would never know the place was a grocery store and gas station, and very important to Penfield at one time.

No comments: