|Recent photo of William H. Root House|
A little further down U.S. 6 (Lake Road) to the west is another fine old lakefront home from the 1800's – the William H. Root house. It is located at the extreme western border of Sheffield Lake, opposite Root Road.
According to the book Preserving our Past (1976), published by the Lorain County Regional Planning Commission, the house was built by William H. Root, the son of Sheffield pioneer Henry Root. The book states that William H. Root ran a mill on the Black River where it meets French Creek,
Architecturally, the house is wood frame, circa 1850 and is an example of the Greek Revival style.
|Reproduced from the book "Preserving our Past"|
Tomorrow: More history of the William H. Root House