Friday, October 2, 2026

LCCC Campus on Abbe Road Opens – October 3, 1966

Gene Patrick's "Passing Scene" cartoon of Saturday, October 1, 1966
Sixty years ago tomorrow, the Lorain County Community College campus on Abbe Road opened for the first time. Here's the front page article from the October 3, 1966 Journal with the story.

As the article noted, it was the first new community college campus in Ohio. Quite an honor.
The Journal featured a few photos from that first day of classes on campus in that same edition.
I checked to see if LCCC was having any sort of festivities scheduled in honor of the occasion. Since the college received its charter in 1963, it has already observed an extended 60th Anniversary celebration beginning in 2023 that included events on the Abbe Road location.

Here is the marker honoring LCCC as the first community college in Ohio with a permanent campus.
Courtesy RemarkableOhio.org
As noted on the Remarkable Ohio website, "Lorain County Community College has become a cornerstone of the community, contributing to the educational and social and cultural enrichment of all Lorain County residents." Well said.
After I graduated from Ohio State and came home to Lorain,  I decided to take some marketing classes at LCCC. I loved the campus, especially the library – which I had been visiting for years anyway. Every few years I drive around the campus and am constantly amazed at how beautiful it is, and how it's grown over the decades.
Lorain County is lucky to have it.

1 comment:

  1. Higher education institutions should indeed be cherished as investments in the future of the community. Today, that is often not the case.

    ReplyDelete