I've mentioned before how I enjoy working in Oberlin because I get to drive through the Oberlin College campus twice a day. It's quite beautiful and I never get tired of it. Sometimes I even stop after work and just walk around Tappan Square, just to enjoy the college environment.
I thought I was familiar with many of the campus buildings until I saw the article above from the Lorain Journal of August 6, 1956. It notes that the Oberlin College Student Union Committee had suggested housing the new student union in Wilder Hall. I understand that the building still has that function.
I thought for sure the building looked somewhat familiar, but I failed to identify it during a few commutes. It turned out that I was driving right by it twice a day – only I was seeing the back of it. Turns out that there is another nice grassy square surrounded by buildings that I wasn't even aware of – and Wilder Hall was one of them.
Wilder Hall (originally called the Men's Building and used as a dorm) was built in 1911. It has been the subject of postcards for more than a hundred years. Here's an ample sample (below); the dates are not confirmed, as they are gleaned from eBay listings and only a few postmarks.
 |
| 1915 |
 |
| 1920s |
 |
| 1944 |
 |
| 1950s |
 |
| 1960s |
And here's the 'now' view. Time to call in Paul Bunyan, I think. Why let trees hide a beautiful building?
Fortunately, there's a 1930 view that's a little bit easier to recreate.
The 'now' view doesn't quite match (I hadn't found the postcard yet) but at least you can see the beauty of the building.
No comments:
Post a Comment