Friday, September 11, 2026

25th Anniversary of 9/11/01

Photo courtesy Robert Clark and Time Magazine

Well, it’s been 25 years. It's hard to believe.

On one hand, seeing the horrific images on TV that day, and watching the news coverage of the aftermath of the attacks doesn’t seem like it’s been that long. But it has. And since then, a lot has happened in this country. 


But the biggest thing that's happened since 9/11 is that hate has become the new national pastime. We seem to be swimming in hate. 


Hate for certain politicians, their political parties, and the people who voted for them. 


Hate for people with a different opinion.


Hate for whole classes of people that some want to blame for all our problems. 


Hate for the laws that govern us.


Hate for some of our most cherished institutions. 


Hate for some of our most basic traditions and principles. 


Hate for some of the very rights that define our republic.


It’s getting scary. Very scary. It’s scarier than 9/11 was, if you ask me.


I wish we could go back to how united we were – briefly (before the finger pointing and criticism began) – right after 9/11. We all stood together as a country.


I’m not sure if we will ever be that united again. But I can hope. And I hope it doesn't take another national tragedy to accomplish it.


And I hope we never forget the people who lost their lives on 9/11, and the people whose lives were changed forever as a result of the attacks. 


****

I posted some front pages from the day following the 9/11 attacks, and offered my own reminisces back here.

5 comments:

  1. It is sad how splintered we've become as a nation. I believe a lot of this has to do with social media. People say things there that they would never say if they were face to face. It has created a disconnect. I will never forget what happened on that day and I long for a time when we can be united as a country like we were after those terrible events. I hope it doesn't take another tragedy to make that happen.
    Dave Beko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,
      I've been saying the same thing you said. I'd like to go back to a simpler time when the internet and Cell Phones didn't exist. The saying that we had more freedom when the phone was attached to the wall is truer than we think.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with anonymous. I Jokingly said 20 years ago that “smart” phones would be the downfall of society. Due mainly to the lack of self awareness they created. Now I’m sad to say it’s much more than that.
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if we didn't have cell phones and the internet Dan wouldn't be producing this nice blog for us to read now would he?We would all still be reading newspapers with day old news.Lots of stuff wouldn't be reported at all.Sure the internet is bad but there is a good side too.It's like a double edged sword.A necessary evil if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought of the US as a bunch of arguing siblings riding the skool bus. The only time we get along is when an outsider pushes one of us around. Other than that, forget about it.

    ReplyDelete