It's a quite different view from the last time I photographed this house back in 2012.
At that time, the house was the subject of a two-part post on this blog. Part 1 dealt with the fact that the residence was a Sears home, and featured quotes and information by a gracious authority on the subject, Rose Thornton. Part 2 included my research as to who lived in it over the years.
But somehow during my research back then, I missed the fact that at some point, it was known as Wickens Manor and was the home of Mr. and Mrs. George B. Wickens. I was only made aware of it by stumbling upon this vintage postcard.
So of course, I had to go back there last night and try to get a matching 'now' shot. I couldn't quite match the angle, and a sign post got in the way. So this was the best I could do.




George B. Wickens was a long-time Lorain undertaker. There were also "Wickens-es" who were lawyers, E.M. - at least in the 1940s, and William G., who served as County Prosecutors office in the 1940s.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dan - The tornado photo is really something.
ReplyDeleteDon - like the "Hiltomb" appellation!
My family lived across the street at 1414 West Erie. I must have passed by it a thousand times, but I never knew who lived there until now, even though I had a Journal paper route that covered both sides of that block and more. Scandal: This prominent Lorain family did not, apparently, subscribe to the Journal!! Coincidentally, the other half of the law firm of Wickens & Herzer lived close by on North Lakeview Drive. Another prominent Lorain family, the
ReplyDeletePeter & Archibald Delis’s of Delis Brothers Furniture, lived directly across the street at 1404 West Erie and a few houses down at 1418, respectively. That’s all for now, Dan. I’m tired.
I never knew that those east and west wings were originally open porches. Today, they appear to be closed sunrooms.
ReplyDeleteSure enjoyed all your posts this week Dan…
ReplyDelete...and I'm so glad you enjoyed them, Wendy!
Delete