Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Hallmark Cleaners Grand Opening – Jan. 9, 1961

Here’s an ad that should bring back some memories for you Lorain westsiders. It’s for the Grand Opening of Hallmark Cleaners in the Lorain Plaza Shopping Center. The half-page ad ran in the Lorain Journal on January 9, 1961.

The store had a pretty prime location at the western end of the shopping center at 3319 Oberlin Avenue. The ad mentions a drive-in window, although we always went in.

Who can forget the unique smell of a dry cleaning operation and the sound of the garments on hangers moving around on their track? (The last few dry cleaners that I’ve used didn’t have the ability to rotate their stock; the employee had to scurry around looking for the item being picked up.)

Here’s a photo of the Hallmark Cleaners location today, courtesy of Google Maps.

It’s strange to think that right next door to Hallmark in the 1960s was a branch of the Lorain Public Library (where Hunan King is in the photo). It was very convenient for us and was my introduction to the library.

And next door to the library to the east was Town House Barber Shop. (I wrote about all of the businesses in that strip back here).

2 comments:

Mike Kozlowski said...

....And for some time after the branch library closed, it was a Radio Shack. There was also a record store on one side or another of the Radio Shack, but I'll be darned if I can remember the name.

Dan Brady said...

I forgot about that Radio Shack, Mike! I should remember it, considering how many times I was in there to get my free battery each month.