|From October 30, 1970 Journal|
(Courtesy of eBay)
Almost symbolically, the elevator was torn down by the technology company whose business success would give Amherst, Ohio global visibility.
A nicely written history that appeared on November 5, 1970 in the Amherst News-Times explained. “One of Amherst’s old landmarks is gone this week as Jerry Eschtruth, wrecking contractor, completes clean-up operations after demolishing the old grain elevator on Maple Avenue,” the article noted.
“Nordson Company has purchased the land, from its parking lot on Jackson street west to and including the old elevator. Also included were the old freight station, the old Mischka coal yard, the storage buildings and the buildings housing the laundromat.
“Present plans are to leave the laundromat and use the freight station and storage buildings for company storage. Because of unsuitability for storage and the danger of fire, the elevator building was torn down.
“The elevator was constructed some time between 1985 and 1900. Although Amherst histories list the start of many old local businesses and industries, including a cheese factory, shear mill, brewery, whiskey distillery, grist and saw mills, gas, water and telephone companies, the U. S. Automatic (predecessor to Nordson Corporation), and many downtown businesses, only slight mention is made of the start of the elevator and no definite date is given.
“For many years the elevator was run as a cooperative as the Farmers Elevator Company. Some six or seven years ago it was purchased and operated by the Shinrock Elevator Company, but then closed down about three years ago.”
Here are a few vintage ads from over the years, from the pages of the Amherst News-Times. As its ads indicate, the company offered a variety of goods, equipment and machinery to local farmers.
|April 19, 1928 Ad|
|July 31, 1947|
|March 7, 1952|
|April 11, 1963|
|April 16, 1964|