Friday, May 22, 2020

The Passing Scene – May 14, 1966

It’s been a while since I posted a Passing Scene comic strip from the Journal.

Cartoonist Gene Patrick seemed to put his creation on hiatus back in July 1969. As of March 1970, the comic still hadn’t returned to the pages of the Journal.

Consequently, since I'd been posting them chronologically from a 50-year prospective, they’ve been absent from this blog. With the Lorain Public Library closed to the public since the middle of March due to the Coronavirus, I haven’t had access to Journal microfilm for quite a while. And I’m not sure when I will again.

Anyway, here’s a strip that I haven’t posted before, believe it or not. It’s from the May 14, 1966 Journal.
It’s a good one too. It has the memorable cartoon (reproduced elsewhere) of the Lorain Lighthouse being saved from demolition. There’s also a funny panel about Lorain County Speedway, as well as one indicating that the atypical cold weather that we had recently (remember the snow a few weeks ago?) was also a problem in 1969.

1 comment:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

"The Passing Scene" was something that I looked forward to in the Journal. I wonder if any local kids read the Morning Journal the way we devoured the Lorain Journal back then.