Wednesday, May 6, 2020

The Overlook Revisited – Part 3

My “virtual tour” of Apartment 412 at the Lorain Overlook Apartments continues...

After climbing the steps to the fourth floor, it was a perpetual state of déja vu for me to see the old familiar door to my apartment.

Coming inside, the biggest change since my last stint there in the 1980s was the addition of carpeting. Strangely enough, it was similar to what I had in my house.

The old-time radiators are still the source of heat, and the living room (shown), bathroom, bedroom and kitchen all had one.

To the left of the living room was a hallway leading to the bathroom and bedroom.

To the right was the arched entrance to the kitchen.

The bathroom was exactly as I remembered it.

Amazingly, more than thirty years after I lived here in the 1980s, the bathroom still had the sink with the goofy separate faucets for hot and cold water.

Once I got some stuff in it, the apartment began to take on the feeling of a home.
Just like last time, the view was the best thing about the apartment. It was always enjoyable, no matter the season.

It was interesting to look out onto East Erie Avenue as well.

Next: Final thoughts

9 comments:

Tim Burton said...

Very cool posts the last couple of days, thoroughly enjoyed. Must have been a nice place to live especially if you had a room on the north side! Keep up the fascinating work you do here, Dan. Yours is the first site I go to every morning! -Tim Burton

Dan Brady said...

Thanks, Tim! I’m glad you’re enjoying these posts. With the libraries closed since the middle of March (and thus no access to microfilm or city directories except for what I already researched), I’m being forced to broaden the scope of what I write about.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Never got around to living at the Overlook; kinda wish I had.

Anonymous said...

Like an earlier comment, I too am really enjoying the "tour" of the Overlook and your apartment. I always wondered what it was like inside. Thanks for showing us. Certainly nothing like the Overlook Hotel in "The Shining"!

Anonymous said...

So, how much has the rent gone up in 35 years?

Anonymous said...

My old 1 BR was on the SW corner of the bldg. A flashback still. Unsure about the carpet I liked the hardwood. Thanks for the series! Rae

Dan Brady said...

I think I was paying $185 for my one bedroom in 1984/85. And a few years ago, it was something like $535 plus a set water bill + a pet surcharge, so it was close to $600.

Anonymous said...

By any chance, did you ever dream of this first apartment over the years? The one apartment I had in 89-91 was across from LCCC and I have had a reoccurring dream of STILL having it, still paying for it, and going to it now and then......

Dan Brady said...

I didn’t dream about it over the years (probably because I was too busy having the ‘college final’ anxiety dream, in which I blew off a class for ten weeks and then couldn’t even find the room to take the final) but I did think about it from time to time. The Overlook left a big impression on me the first time and I could conjure up the feeling of being there, looking out the window, hearing the lake lapping at the shore, etc. years after I was there. But I was awake when doing this.