Friday, May 1, 2020

Cap’n Eddy Sails Again at "Coal and Ice"

It’s funny how you can drive by something for years, and then – after it’s torn down – you can’t remember what was there.

For instance, for years an old duplex sat on the southeast corner of Liberty Avenue and Washington Street in Vermilion.
And then, suddenly – it was gone.
And then, suddenly – odd, little retro signs popped up on the lot, including a cutout of McGarvey’s advertising mascot, Cap’n Eddy.
While I thought the signs were great, I couldn’t quite figure out what I was looking at. What was with the retro hot dog sign on the building?
A historic plaque on the building noting that it was a Coal Weight Station circa 1880 didn’t explain it either.
It wasn’t until I did a little Googling on Thursday that I figured out what was going on. It’s a gourmet hotdog and ice cream business called “Coal and Ice.”
According to this article on discover vermilion.org, it’s supposed to have that “old summer town amusement park feel,” similar to what you would find at Geneva on the Lake. I think it’s a great idea and it’s being executed very well. The place is fun to look at and hopefully will be a popular new roadside attraction, especially with the iconic Cap’n Eddy up on the crow’s nest. ( A plaque beneath him identifies him as being ‘removed from the famous McGarvey’s Boat Drive-in upon demolition.)
But I wonder if the owners should reconsider the name, lest others be as confused as I was.
Anyway, here’s wishing then all the best in their business endeavor.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Will have to try it out!

Unknown said...

Great

meesalikeu said...

Ha ha wow. I am so glad someone saved that silly, but famous McGarvey’s Cap’n Eddy sign!