Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Brownhelm Community Christmas – 1967

On Christmas Eve, I like to post vintage articles about the Brownhelm Community Christmas celebration. The idea of having volunteers dressed as Santa Claus visiting homes in Brownhelm Township with gifts and treats is such a charming custom. And it’s been going on since the early 1930s.

Back in 2016 (here), I posted a series of articles from December 1932 indicating that it was probably the first year of the tradition. (On that same post, I included a photo from the 1964 celebration.) I have also posted articles from 1947 and 1963.

And here’s today’s article. This one ran in the Lorain Journal on December 24, 1967 and even has a photo of Rev. Ralph Albright, the man credited with being the founder of the Brownhelm Community Christmas.

It makes me want to drive out to Brownhelm Township tonight (it’s only about ten minutes from where I live) just to catch a glimpse of all the fun!

****
Way back here in 2010, I posted my personal reminisces about believing in Santa Claus. 

No comments: