Monday, September 9, 2019

Scootin’ Along with Lorain Police – Sept. 1959

You may have noticed that last week, several of my posts contained subject matter related to September 1959, as opposed to my usual 50-years-ago perspective. That’s because when I went to the Lorain Public Library to gather material for my September blog posts, the 1969 Journal microfilm reel for that month was missing. Thus the need to improvise a bit and go for the 60-year lookback.

Anyway, we’ll linger in the late 1950s and early 60s a little bit longer before making our way up to hippie-dippie 1969.

First up is a nifty little item from the Journal of September 11, 1959, showing the Lorain Police Department trying out a cool new vehicle for checking parking meters.

I showed the clipping to longtime blog contributor and researcher Dennis Thompson, who was able to easily I. D. the type of scooter it was: a late 1950’s Cushman Truckster.
Dennis even sent me a link to a website devoted to Cushman Motor Scooters. Referring to the website link, Dennis wrote, "The yellow one part way down looks like the same model.
Heres what Dennis was referring to.

Courtesy Jim Frederick and www.hobbytech.com
Dennis noted, "They made dozens of models. Trucksters, Vansters, Golfsters, Mailsters, metermaidsters (I forget what they call that one). Three and four wheeled versions of most. Electric and gas. Geared for off road or on. Not to mention the scooters. 
"I drove a really nice one about 3 years ago. It was for sale on Rt. 58 by the Speedway. A good price and in perfect condition. A Vanster model with doors and a heater. But it was the off road gearing and only went about 15 mph. The road versions can go 45 mph."

No comments: