Friday, August 30, 2019

Lorain YMCA on E. 28th Street Opens – August 1925

Local YMCAs used to be an important part of communities dating back to the mid-1800s. They provided recreation, social activities, educational classes and low-cost dormitory housing in a safe, wholesome Christian environment that fostered good citizenship.

Thus it was big news back in August 1925 when the new Lorain YMCA facility on E. 28th Street opened, replacing the old one at the same location that was destroyed by fire in March 1920 (see front page at right).

At the top of this post is a page from the August 29, 1925 Lorain Times-Herald, containing articles related to the dedication of the new structure.

One article notes that the opening of the steel mill hastened the need for a YMCA in Lorain. The selection of South Lorain for the YMCA's location enabled it initially to serve the needs of Lorain and Elyria.

Another article describes the new building as "one of the finest of its kind in the middle west.”

“Built of brick and sandstone, the new “Y” replaces the former structure which was all but destroyed by fire. It is four stories high and is modern in every respect.

“The basement, or first floor contains the auxiliary gymnasium, the swimming pool, bowling alleys, check and locker rooms, “Dug Out” showers, pool and billiard tables, heating system and water filters.

“The pool is 20 by 60 – regulation for aquatic needs. White tile was used in the pool proper with racing lines on the bottom painted in blue. The border is lined with brown Flemish non-slip tile and the sides are of salt-glazed brick.

“Four regulation bowling alleys illuminated with 3 flood lights are one of the recreational features. Automatic pin setters are part of the equipment.

“Separate locker rooms have been provided for the mens and boys and the check room has 800 compartments.

“The auxiliary gymnasium, which was the only portion of the old building which was not raised, will be used for banquets, meetings and for gym work when the regular gymnasium on the second floor is in use.”

****
I never went to the YMCA on W. 28th Street, but I know someone who took swimming lessons there in the late 1960s: my brother Ken. Unfortunately, by the time he was going there, the facility was in decline, and kind of scary to a kid.


Ken described what he saw when he entered the building through the outside door on the left. “It was like a large sitting room type lobby, with down-on-their-luck guys sitting around,  he recalled. "I think it was the old kind of YMCA, that rented cheap rooms. Nobody was too friendly, said Ken. 

Getting to the pool area was an adventure.

"The door to the pool area was like a closet door to the right. They had to buzz you in. It opened on stairs leading down into dark dinginess. Once you got down to the pool level, it stayed dark and dingy. There was nothing fun-looking about it. 

"You had to walk the length of the pool to get to the locker room, which was labyrinthine and dilapidated. I was used to going into big old dark buildings in Lorain; for the dentist, for example, and to Mr. Visci’s for trumpet lessons, of course, but the Y locker room was extra-creepy."

So how was the pool, some forty-odd years after the facility opened?

"I remember the swimming teacher didn’t think the water was clean enough, so he poured in a couple bottles of bleach and had us get in, hold onto the side and kick our legs to mix it up,  laughed Ken. "I remember it burning my skin, which must have made everyone kick harder."

So did Ken learn how to swim?

"What I learned, answered Ken, "was that I wasn’t much of a swimmer. The instructor was just some grumpy Dad. I dont think he was much of a teacher, either, since I almost drowned in his class. But at least he knew how to pump me out."

Ken explained how it happened. Apparently the instructor was getting impatient with how the class was doing and decided to try an experiment.

"We weren’t progressing fast enough; we had little floaty boards we all relied on, he remembered. "I knew I would be okay if I always had my floaty board. But the instructor said that most kids swim naturally, so he was going to have us all jump off the diving board at the deep end to find out we already could swim. 

"We lined up, and I was second or third in line. The first one or two survived. Not me. I can remember my feet touching bottom a couple times, thrashing around, catching glimpses of people at the side of the pool. Then I was waking up, flat on my back, coughing up water, with the teacher kneeling next to me and all the kids standing around. 

"So endeth the lesson. He went back to teaching the normal way."

Ken never did learn how to swim. "Avoiding deep water seemed the way to go, stated Ken. "And it’s served me well in the fifty-odd years since.

"For me, the old Y is best left forgotten... a childhood memory where you’re glad you made it out alive!”

****
But the Bradys weren’t quite done with the YMCA on E. 28th Street yet.

My mother later worked in that building. You see, after the Y was replaced by the new one on Tower Boulevard, U. S. Steel used part of the building for offices, including the Employment Office. That's where Mom worked.

"U.S. Steel had the front half of the building,” recalled Mom recently. “ I used to go down to the basement because that’s where the oldest records were kept. It was very dark. I think I saw the pool once.”

Speaking of that pool, Mom had her own memories of taking swimming lessons at that Y when she was a kid. Her memories aren’t much better than Ken’s.

“The guy who was the instructor liked to pick the kids up and toss’em in the water – whether they could swim or not!” said Mom.

Ironically, when Ken got a job at the mill in the late 1970s, he had to go into the offices at the former YMCA a few times. Mom offered to take Ken on a tour of the building, including the basement, so he could see the pool again.

"No, thanks," was Ken's answer.


****
Heres what the former YMCA on E. 28th Street looks like today.



8 comments:

Tim Burton said...

I remember taking swim lessons at the Y when I was a kid. We left Lorain in 1968, so it must have been 1965, ‘66. I actually remember the name of the instructor - Mr Monus (sp). A fiery, fire plug of a man who had somewhat of an intimidating teaching style. Could have been the guy Ken was describing. The building certainly was scary as a little kid and the pool area always had the thick chlorine/bleach smell. Ken’s description of the whole Y experience is spot-on and is still so fully fresh in my mind. Good post, Dan! Kind of a shame to see the building today. No doubt it had to have been impressive when it opened.
Tim Burton
Denver, CO

Anonymous said...

I loved going to the Y so much I never noticed much of what Ken did. Maybe your Mom remembers a Mary Jane Haus? I worked w her later on at North Ohio Heart Center. We would get a pass to the pool from her. I remember lined up by that closet door waiting our turn to go swimming. I was there same era as Tim mentioned. On one upper floor I took riflery w BB guns. I earned a Pro Marksman from the NRA in 66. There was Mr Monos who I thought the world of. He was gruff but I learned to swim in spite of myself. You could earn swimming certificates as your skills improved. Like Minnow, Fish, Flying Fish and so on. Mrs Kirby was like a PhyEd teacher she had long blond hair, we spent time in the aux gym doing all kinds of games and there was a trampoline. Then there was craft class where I made beads from magazines On the main floor your brother described when you first walk in had pool table, bumper pool table and other activities. There was a vending area I always was hungry after swimming and would get an ice cream sandwich. The big gym had a running track high around the top that had ramped corners like a car race track. The last memory I have is waiting out front for my Dad to pick me and we would play on the railings. He would pick me up and we would count bars on 28th street going home. Rae

Anonymous said...

I never went there when it was the "Y" however I do remember when it was the US Steel Employment office. I stood outside in line down 28th St. waiting to fill out an application for the mill (maybe your Mom helped me). If I remember it was the summer of '76 and the mill advertised that it was offering applications. That was before I was headed off to college and I thought it would be a great summer job. Well I never got called...looking back it was probably a good thing... it would have been hard to give up that nice paycheck and return to school. Little did we know then the downhill slide of the mill was beginning. I had a few friends who dealt with the layoff cycles for years until they decided to work elsewhere. What a shame.

Anonymous said...

OopS missed the part your Mom worked after the Y became part of USS. Rae😊

Lisa said...

Although I had no connection to that particular YMCA, I enjoyed reading your brother's memories of the place. I was transported back in time as if I had really been there. The description of the swimming lessons had me chuckling but at the same time, brought back memories of my own fears, and particularly of my sons' first lessons. There was a stroke called the "flutterback scull" that my one son hated so much. He said it was called "flutterback scull" because you drown trying it, and your scull (skull) washes ashore. He was only six or so when he said that. I had to laugh. Those types of "swimming" memories came back to me while reading your great article. Oh, and that smell of chlorine!

Jeff Rash said...

I agree with all about the dark space the pool was in. I took swimming lessons there around 1968 or 69. Mr. Monas (sp.?) was also my teacher. He was gruff and I was scared of him. When somebody was not swimming correctly, he had this hook on the end of a pole we had to grab on to. I do remember not being too excited about going back each week...but I made it through and did learn how to swim.

Unknown said...

Anonymous my dad worked as a janitor for 20 years at the YMCA on 28th st. in Lorain a long time ago.

Diane F Alloway said...

My great-grandfather was a contractor in Lorain. That is the last building that he worked on.