Tuesday, August 20, 2019

1969 Lorain County Fair Ad – August 18

Well, it’s my favorite time of the year again – Lorain County Fair week! (I think I say that every year.)

Why do I like the fair so much? Because it’s timeless fun. It doesn’t change very much from year to year, and that’s fine with me. I even tend to eat the same foods there each year (French Fries in a cup with salt & vinegar, Rutana’s Apple Dumplings, etc.) and I never get tired of them. I guess it’s all very reassuring that not everything in life has to change or get worse.

Anyway, to put you in the mood for some fair fun, here’s an ad that ran in the Lorain Journal back on August 18, 1969 – 50 years ago.

Note that the fair had a slightly different schedule back then – starting on Tuesday instead of Monday, and only running for six days.

It’s kind of interesting that back in 1969, the ad advertised that it was its 114th Annual Lorain County Fair. But fifty years later, the current Lorain County Fair website notes that it’s now “the 174th Annual Fair,” instead of the 164th.

****
So who were the Grandstand headliners back then?

As noted in the ad, Faron Young and the Deputies opened the Fair on Tuesday; Jimmy Dean (why do I suddenly have a taste for sausage?) had the Saturday slot; and Bobby Vinton and the Kids Next Door closed the Fair on Sunday. And don’t forget Hurricane Hell Drivers Featuring Dan Fleenor, who did two shows on Wednesday.

****
Click here to visit some of my past posts on the Lorain County Fair.

No comments: