Tuesday, April 16, 2019

South Shore Packing Corp. – Vermilion, Ohio


Did you know that for many years, a packing plant in Vermilion, Ohio packed millions of olives each year, shipping them from coast to coast under various labels?
At one point, the South Shore Packing Company was the nation’s largest producer of “fancy pack” olives and was ranked as the 10th largest importer of olives in the United States. It was located at 5117 South Street.
Here are labels of two of the olive brands packed by the South Shore Packing Company, in addition to its own South Shore brand.
The South Shore Packing Company is currently the subject of a neat little display in Vermilion’s Ritter Public Library. The exhibit includes vintage olive jars and lids, company letterhead, article reprints and a shipping box.
Here's a peek at some of the displays.
Coincidentally, a few months ago I received copies of the same materials that are part of the library display. They were shared with me by local historian and author Matt Weisman, who thought they might make a good subject for a blog post.
Here’s one of the color product cards (the other is at the top of this post).
And here is a Plain Dealer article and photos about the company from June 16, 1963.
BOTTLES ’N’ BARRELS. Merle Roger, outside foreman, pushes another barrel into position in the storage yard. The barrels and hogsheads contain the olives and are shipped to Vermilion from Spain. The jugs are filled with salt brine which drips down into the barrels to keep the olives constantly covered.
THE RUN. Down go the briny olives into the wash from their barrel as Mrs. Martha Mey releases them.
TREE TRIMMER. Mary Lou Canterbury is the expert placing the olives on the branches of  the plastic “tree,” then placing the trees in jars. Pull out the tree and the olives, too. No more digging.
Here’s another article reprint. It’s from the February 1971 issue of Port of Cleveland Newsletter and has some terrific photos in addition to a detailed explanation of company operations from port to grocery store.
The article points out that “the barrels and casks were hand made of Chestnut from Portugal. Since it is not practical to reship the empties, South Shore sells them for many uses. Fishing camps use them for keeping minnows, farmers for feed containers, etc. People who are skilled at woodcraft make all kinds of furniture from them. Supermarkets often use them to make display stands for the many South Shore variety packs (see photo).”
The article also notes, “The 50 year old company has been located in Vermilion (under the same management) since 1943. Although the plant packs some private label brands, their own South Shore brand represents 78% of the company’s production.”

Lastly, here's a late July 1977 Associated Press article about the South Shore Packing Company that received national distribution. This clipping appeared in the Newark Advocate on July 30, 1977.

The South Shore Packing Company appears to have closed when its owner, S. Leonard Appleman, retired in 1987. It disappeared from the Lorain phone book after the 1986-87 edition.

S. Leonard Appleman passed away on November 20, 1989.

Courtesy Morning Journal
Thanks to Matt Weisman and Al Doane for providing the historical materials for this post.

16 comments:

Buster said...

Hi Dan, I much enjoyed the articles on this company and the candy shop. Do you happen to know what became of these businesses?

Dan Brady said...

Hi Buster! I didn't have any more information at the time I prepared these posts, but I'll see if I can at least come up with a timeline for each by checking the city directories. And hopefully some friendly longtime Vermilionites who read this may be able to shed some light.

Buster said...

Thanks again, but I didn't mean to create more work for you! I am surprised you don't have those various directories memorized by now, considering how often you consult them. Please know that your efforts are much appreciated.

Lisa said...

I, too, was curious.

Dan Brady said...

I do know that S. Leonard Appleman, the owner and operator of South Shore Packing Company, passed away in November of 1989. Online reports of his passing note that he had been retired for about two years. There was a big auction of his estate held at "the location of the former South Shore Packing Corp." in March 1990.

I'll have to see what the Vermilion Photojournal archives reveal.

Buster said...

Thanks, Dan, as always for your impressive research!

Dan Brady said...

Thanks, Buster!

Dan Meyers said...

I remember all the rows of barrels!

Col. Matt Nahorn said...

Great posting - I recently acquired a bunch of archival material from this business.

Anonymous said...

Talk about timing. As Fox 8 is having their daily show on Vermilion, Ohio today and I'm going through my late mother's possessions I happen to find a small jar of coins in a small South Shore olive jar which led me to your article. Thank you.

Barnacle bill said...

The plant was shut down for taxes. My brother and I purchased it at Sherriff auction. We sold the trucks and equipment off to various packing companies and cleaned up the site. Sold it a year later to Bruce Zuma, who operated a shop there.The Brass Emporium. He later sold to Norm Reus, who operates it as the Drydock, boat storage and marine store. Dan Roth

Unknown said...

I remember going past the plant with my oldest brother,and smelling the olives.He had a wonderful wooden boat at Vermilion.I was just curious at what happened to the plant,and what it's name was.

Unknown said...

I actually worked there from 1971-1973 (estimate). I loved my work in the Engineering Dept. We worked in an office outside the plant but on the grounds.

MGSANBORN said...

Thank you for this historical article!! Mr. Appleman was my husband's grandfather and has fond memories of Southshore Packing Company!! We have letters from presidents and vice presidents thanking Mr. Appleman for olive gift deliveries to the White House!! I enjoy reading historic information, most especially when it includes family!! Thank you for sharing!!

Dan Brady said...

You’re very welcome and I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

I worked in the office in the late 60’s & early 70’s. It was a great place to work. I don’t remember a lot about my job there accept that it was a pleasant place to work. I still have a Christmas set of ceramic Angels a go-worker made for me Christmas of 1971. I do not remember her name now but her initials were “NC”.