Thursday, February 21, 2019

The Journal's Favorite Teacher Contest – Feb. 1969 – Part 1

Hey, what's that strange writing on
that black wall thing behind her?
(Photo Courtesy Pinterest)
Do you have a favorite teacher, one that you remember fondly from your school days?
I'm guessing most people probably do. If you're a Baby Boomer and grew up in Lorain (like me), you were fortunate to have terrific teachers all the way from kindergarten to senior year. I liked all my teachers.

Of course, I had a few favorites – all of which I've mentioned on this blog before.

Although I only had Miss Reiber for half of my first grade at Charleston Elementary in 1965 (until my family moved to a new school district), I enjoyed a friendly Christmas Card correspondence with her up right until she passed away in 2005.

There were others too. Mrs. Pierce helped make my transition from Charleston to Masson Elementary go very smoothly and for that I am grateful. Later at Masson I had a crush on my French teacher, Miss Nelson. She did her job well, because thanks to her and Mr. Smith at Admiral King, I still know a lot of French. And speaking of Admiral King High School, I'd have to say that Miss Dietlin was my favorite.

Anyway, the Lorain Journal must have realized that many students had a favorite teacher. So the paper launched a great promotional contest with that theme, with the prize being a trip to Europe for the winner. (Of course you had to buy the paper to get your hands on a ballot.)

Here's the full-page ad that appeared in the paper on January 26, 1969. The contest was open to students of the entire 'Golden Crescent' so it wasn't just a Lorain thing. The winner could be a teacher in Monroeville.

So who won? A crusty old veteran who toiled for decades without any recognition? A young, hip teacher that appealed to the teenagers? Mr. Wolf? Mr. Radke? Mrs. Gleason? Mr. Ksenich?
Stop back here tomorrow when the ballots will have been counted, and the winner is revealed! 

2 comments:

Wireless.Phil said...

I used to remember them all, not anymore.

Lee Cornelius said...

Lol, Mr. Radke! I wonder if I still have my Masson Jr. High Band record album somewhere...

I can’t even imagine any local contest with such an incredibly valuable prize today.