Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Still Looking for That Big V

With Lorain’s Victory Park in the news so much lately, I've been constantly reminded that I never did figure out who first installed the iconic Big V sculpture. It’s a mystery that’s been bugging me since 2011.

I first wrote about my quest here, comparing it to the search for the Big W in my favorite movie It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

I attempted to solve the mystery with a trip to the Lorain Public Library this past Saturday, retracing steps taken years ago with the thought that I might have missed it the first time.

Since the Big V was never mentioned in any of the Times-Herald coverage of the dedication of the Miss Victory statue, I have to conclude it was not there in April 1922.

Hoping that perhaps it was added to the V-shaped park in the weeks following its dedication, I went back and checked the Times-Heralds of that time period. No luck.

The 1924 Lorain Tornado newspaper coverage didn’t mention the Big V either.

During the days when I spent a lot of time at the old Black River Historical Society, it was suggested by someone there that the Big V was put up after World War II.

So on Saturday, I rechecked the Lorain Journal coverage of Admiral Ernest J. King’s visit to Lorain in late September 1945 celebrating the victorious end of the war. Again, no mention of a Big V being added to Victory Park – before, during or after the celebration.

The Lorain Elks did have an award-winning float in the victory parade that included a large clock marking the hour of eleven, a dove of peace and – you guessed it – a large V for Victory. The Elks have maintained the Big V in Victory Park for years, and I have wondered if the V from their parade float was the inspiration for it.

But getting back to my research. I have spot-checked newspaper coverage of various Memorial Days, Veterans Days, and anniversaries of V-J Day and V-E Day in Lorain, finding no mention of the Big V.

Nevertheless, my hunt goes on. It's like my own personal Moby Dick. (Or Moby Vic if you prefer.)

Hopefully with the renewed interest in Victory Park, a vital piece of information may trickle out and solve the mystery.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Note the two rows of blue stars on the left side of the V. One row has 4 stars, the other row has five stars....maybe this stands for 45 as in 1945?

Good Hunting!

DD

Dan Brady said...

Hey, that's a great observation! Good detective work.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Are there any pictures of the original "V"?

Loraine Ritchey said...

we have found more information re the 1992 dedication ( thrown out by the city a few years ago 2011 ish) ) haven't had a chance to go through them as such but will look to see if there is anything there and will let you know …..

Loraine Ritchey said...

oops 1922