Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Election Day 1968

Well, it’s Election Day 2018. And none too soon, if you’re exhausted (like me) from watching the endless political commercials on TV. (Although I’ve got to admit, some of the commercials were quite clever and creative.)

Fifty years ago today, the country election Richard M. Nixon as its next President.

Locally, during that same election, Democrat Don Pease unseated Republican Henry Schriver to become the state representative from the 75th District. And Harvey Holcomb, Republican, defeated incumbent Eugene Roberts, Democrat, to become the county engineer. Those were the two big surprises in Lorain County. The Lorain Journal had endorsed both of the winners.

Anyway, I’m sure the cartoon above by the great Hugh Haynie – which ran on the Page of Opinion in the Journal on November 6, 1968 – is as appropriate today as it was fifty years ago.

1 comment:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

I'm with you, Dan....I've never been as involved, or as sick of politics, as I am this year.