|Aerial view of Port Mills Airport, 1929|
In the above photo you can see a clump of trees at the intersection of Meister and Leavitt. And in that clump of trees is the old schoolhouse, which was about to be put to a new use.
Here’s a small article with a photo of the school by Rudy Moc that appeared in the Lorain Times-Herald on July 26, 1929.
“The building was formerly an old country school house but has not been used for several years. It is located on the southwest corner of the 136-acre site of the field.”
The Times-Herald also mentioned the school in an article in that same edition. It noted, "The "little red school house" located at the southwest corner of the big flying field already has been remodeled into a general administration and air pilot school room.
"In it is located the offices of the company and rooms, filled with desks and blackboards for the teaching of the pilot pupils in their ground course."
Another page featured the Rudy Moc photo again.
|From the front page of the July 22, 1929 Lorain Journal|