Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Harvest House Grand Opening Ad – 1966

One of the images that Michael Brown sent me during our correspondence in January about Midway Mall is the above ad for the Grand Opening of the Harvest House Cafeteria. The full-page ad ran in the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram as part of the special section about the opening of Midway Mall in late September 1966.

It’s a great ad, showing both the interior and exterior of the store, as well as apparently the first of the ongoing roast turkey dinner specials. (I’m surprised their cafeteria advertising slogan wasn’t “It’s Always Thanksgiving at Harvest House!”)

Since my original posts about Harvest House back in January, I’ve also scared up a bigger version of the postcard showing the interior and exterior of typical restaurants. You can click on for that “You are there” experience.

I also found this matchbook currently on Ebay.
It's Sunday afternoon while I'm preparing this post, and it’s almost time for me to get started on my chili. But for some reason, all I can think of is roast turkey with creamy mashed potatoes, giblet gravy and a warm roll and butter.

And a choice of vegetable.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Thanks for posting about midway mall - it was a great place!

Dan Brady said...

Glad you enjoyed the posts, Mark!

Miss Maggie said...

I loved that cafeteria and have wonderful memories of relaxing there with a good hot meal, or even just stopping in for coffee and a slice of pie. It was a wonderful experience! Thank you so much for posting this!!!

Dan Brady said...

Glad you liked it, Maggie! Hope to read your blog sometime!