|NEW ADDITION – A new kitchen will be located in the addition of a new|
room. The present kitchen will be used as an anteroom.
Maple sugar suppers were introduced to the public in 1922 and the Grange walked off with a $75 prize at the Lorain County Fair. Several other prizes have been won for displays at the fair, some running to $100.
In the 1920's an active Junior Grange was formed.
At one time the group put on a minstrel show. The men worked different shifts and each time the show was presented a different cast participated.
An item of special interest was brought to light when it was discovered in 1912 six members of the Cotton family served as officers of Hickory Tree Grange. E. F. Cotton was master; George Cotton, overseer; Lydia Cotton, chaplain; Leon Cotton, treasurer; Luella Cotton, Pomona and E. F. Cotton, chorister.
Another disclosed that the Grange building at one time furnished a home for C. A. Alexander and his family while their home on S. Lake was being built. Thus the building has been a school, private dwelling and a meeting place for the Grange.
****Today, the Hickory Tree Grange is part of the Sandstone Museum Center. Here is a link to its page on the Amherst Historical Society website.