Friday, September 28, 2012

Tiller's Treasures: Neuman Dairy Bottles

Right on cue, I received an email this week from collector Jack Tiller. You might remember that he has that impressive collection of Lorain memorabilia that he is always happy to share with the readers of this blog. (I'm continually amazed that he is able to produce images of rare items that relate to what I am blogging about.)

Noting the blog's subject matter the last few days, Jack sent me these two images of Neuman Dairy Company bottles – one with J. Neuman as the proprietor (above) and another with J. H. Barres (below) as the man in charge. I guess I'll have to do some more research.

I was fairly surprised to see these bottles, because I was always under the impression that the Neumans were primarily dairymen that sold their milk to someone else who bottled it. But as these images show, the Neumans apparently operated a facility to bottle their own milk.

So far, I've only come up with one address for the facility, in the 1919-20 Lorain City Directory. It had Neuman's Dairy Company at 1002 W. 22nd Street. It's a residence now, with the Lorain County Auditor's website saying that the building dates from 1900 (which usually means before that).

Anyway, thanks again to Jack for sharing parts of his great collection!

No comments: