Thursday, August 25, 2011

2011 Lorain County Fair Wrap-up

Rutana Concession's Hot Apple Dumpling Booth

Went out to the Lorain County Fair in Wellington the other night and had our usual good time, despite a late start.

The highlight of the night was a fantastic Rutana Apple Dumpling. They're always good, but for some reason this year's were really great – hot, fresh and huge. (We get them without ice cream so we can enjoy the extra sauce we requested.) The girls in the booth were super-friendly and quick too.

You can visit the company's Facebook page by clicking here.

Of course, a trip to the Fair means Midway Oh Boys for dinner. After inhaling mine, I was sitting on a bench (listening to the Roadhouse Band) when I felt a tap on my back. "Was it worth it?" asked a gentleman sitting on the bench behind me.

It seems he and his wife were from Ashland, and were trying to decide whether to have Oh Boys for dinner. "If you're looking for an unbiased opinion, I'm the wrong guy to ask," I laughed. "I eat these all the time!"

I convinced the couple to give Oh Boys a try, and they enjoyed them. "There's nothing like this down where we live," he added. He told me that the next time I'm down around Wooster, I have to get a pizza at Coccia House. He says they're fantastic – a really, thick, delicious pizza.

Anyway, here are a few shots of the Fair.

This guy won best of breed and he still looks grumpy
"Hey, are you done petting me already?"

Cap'n Frosty still sails on his Dairy Clipper


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, the guy from Ashland is absolutely correct about the pizza from Coccia House. I went down there on a road trip to Wooster with a group of people from the Car Talk website forums about 15 years ago or so and it was the best pizza I've ever had; I'm also fond of Lorenzo's in Oberlin but Coccia's beats them hands down, AND beats anything I ever had in Buffalo, and there are some great pizzerias in Buffalo.
Don Wozniak

Dan Brady said...

Thanks for commenting, Don! I was hoping someone would weigh in on that pizza. I think my next trip to Amish country is going to have a distinctively Italian finish!