Monday, May 24, 2010

Madison Skyway Drive-in


To close out this online collection of my old drive-in theater photos (unless I can dig out some more), here's one of the Madison Skyway Drive-in. (Click on it for a closer look.) I know it's not in Lorain County, but I'm casting a wider net on this topic – plus I like seeing all my drive-in photos in one place!

According to this website, which is an index of Ohio's forgotten drive-ins, it was located on Route 20, two miles west of Geneva. I shot it back in August of 1995, a mere fifteen years ago, during a road trip to Geneva on the Lake.

Unlike the Carlisle and Sandusky Drive-ins, the Madison Skyway is still there apparently. When I photographed it, it was already getting obscured by foliage; it's even worse now. If you're interested, this website has some more recent shots, an aerial shot and a few vintage ads. And some nice color shots of the overgrown marquee are on this flickr site.

1 comment:

Scott Santoro said...

I would like to see you do a post about Geneva-on-the-Lake. I have vivid memories of taking a vacation in 1964 when I was about eleven with my parents and grandparents. I would have loved to have gone to the drive-in but we didn't do anything that exciting. I remember: 1. Smokestacks belching black smoke on the shore to the east. 2. Being in the lake and a dead fish floating by. 3.Cash washing up in the morning and people running up and down the shore trying to find more. 4. A lemonade stand on the boardwalk; excellent lemonade but most memorable was the man and woman whose double chins bounced up and down while they shook the lemonade for each customer. 5. Walking out of an Italian restaurant because my father thought it was too expensive; my aunts talked about that for decades. 6. Seeing Munsters or Addams Family dolls in a display in a store and not being able to convince my parents to buy one for me. Both were on the air at the time. 7. We stayed in a 1920s courtyard motel of bungalows on the lake with a lawn in the middle and a cement stair down to the shore.