Sunday, March 21, 2010

Anchors Away, Admiral King High School


A few days ago, the Lorain school board announced that the name of the new high school to be built will be Lorain High School. (Click here to read the Morning Journal's online article.) 

I have no problem with this; it makes sense. My only objection is that the current Admiral King High School will be "rebranded" (see, there's my advertising background coming into play) as Lorain High School this fall, before the new school is even built.

In my opinion, the Admiral King name should have been retained for now out of respect for any surviving King family members. And during the first week of school, there could have been an assembly to welcome the new students and a presentation made to remind all of the students who Admiral Ernest J. King was.

The school board may still attach the Admiral King name to another school yet to be built. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I agree with the comments posted here by my brother that a much better idea would be to honor the Admiral with a lakefront park.

1 comment:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

This isn't even worthy of comment...where's their respect?