Sunday, January 31, 2010

1968 Lorain Part 8



Here is the last of the photos from the 1968 Greater Lorain Chamber of Commerce booklet that is part of the Lorain Public Library's special collections. (I've pretty much photocopied the booklet within an inch of its existence, although I shot this one right in the library with my digital camera – I'm such a sneak.) This time it is the old Fire Station Number One.
If my memory serves me correctly, after the building was no longer being used as a fire station, it served as a bank branch for several years. Anyway, today it is again doing its civic duty by serving as the City of Lorain's Treasurer and Income Tax Department.
To the right, you can see a photo of how the building looks today (literally – I took advantage of a nice but chilly day and shot it this afternoon).
To see what it looked like (also in 1968) to a nine year old with a sketchbook and a box of crayons, click here to see an earlier blog entry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Mother mover to Lorain in 1930 across from Vet park and kitti corner to the firestation. She loved to hang out there she said probably annoying the firemen but she was a kid and never noticed